Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting into the swing

The first week here I was pretty overwhelmed with settling into the apartment and with the other TA helping our program director, Franca, with everyone's passport/visa paperwork. I share a room, one of 3 in an apartment of 9 girls with Amy and Wonseo(one-saw), fellow grads. We are on the top floor, definitely the warmest of all since every place is without A/C and the temperature has been averaging in the high 80s. We really can't wait for it to cool down enough so we aren't needing to take multiple showers in a day!

Since I've been here I can't help but constantly think about things that are different from last time. Most things are still the same in the city: cafes, restaurants, supermarket, shops and even most of the people working at all of those places have been here for at least the past 4 years. It is really pretty amazing how small and quant Vicenza is, it reminds me a lot of St. Augustine.

The first night out with some of my main buds:
Cheech, Amy, Wonseo and Matt


Two Fridays ago, 5 of us went to Venice for the day. It is about an hour train ride and 4 euro from Vicenza. It was hot and unbelievably crowded because Europeans are smart and almost everyone takes the entire month of August off for holiday. We had a fun time seeing all the major attractions, The Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge, San Marco, etc. I'll share pictures from the next trip there because I'm sure there will be plenty more since it is so close.

Big Frut, the best jelly candy there is!
My parents discovered it when they were last here
and now I get to enjoy it.

No comments: